Our Labor Day weekend was spent as usual, relaxing and taking in the Box Car Days festivities. Colin loved the rides and games and got to skip his nap and go to the Labor Day parade for the first time. Lydia had fun swimming and watching her brother on the rides.
| 14 years & 4 kids later... |
| Happy girl with dad at the parade |
![]() |
| The sun was apparently too bright... |
From Grandma and Grandpa's we took off for South Dakota (or West Fargo, as Colin often called it) and the Black Hills. Our ultimate destination was Deadwood where I had meetings for work. John had never been out there so we made sure to stop and be tourists every chance we could.
![]() |
| Trying to make it to the other side without getting hit by the fountains. This turned into a fun game until he slipped and fell. Then it was tears all the way back to the car. |
Our last stop before the hotel was Reptile Gardens in Rapid City. It was fun to see the shows and America's largest crocodile. But it was HOT that day and we were all ready to be done riding in the car.
While I was at meetings the next day, John took the kids to the fish hatchery in Spearfish. Colin says this was one of his favorite things (and it was free - even better!). He was fascinated with all of the ducks and trout.
Our last must-see was Mount Rushmore. We were wavering on whether we should actually go a half hour out of our way to see something that Colin wouldn't even understand (or remember) but in the end it was totally worth it. It's a lot different now than I remember it and John definitely enjoyed it. Even Colin got something out of it, even if it was only that their ice cream is yummy. :)
![]() |
| Pretty sad family picture. I should note that we ran into someone from Tracy when I asked her to take our picture. Small world! |
I have to say that our South Dakota "vacation" really was a great time - even if chaotic at times. I'm so thankful my three favorite people were able to make the trek with me!



















1 comment:
Oh my goodness, Colin's facial expressions just crack me up. Looks like it was a great trip home and adventure road trip. Love Lydia in the pool, she's looking so grown up. You know, for a baby. :)
Love this post!!
Post a Comment